Sunday, June 3, 2012

Females work on a ship 船上工作的女生


Females on the ship 船上工作的女生


It is always an astonishing thing for me to see so many female scientists or ship crew. It is almost impossible to see a female crew in Taiwan. There are only few female oceanographers in Taiwan and most of them do not go to sea very often. I interviewed a female ship crew, our ship’s doctor, and some female scientists who sail with me during this expedition to know more about them.
在台灣,基本上是沒有女生的船員的,所以我在美國的研究船上看到不少的女性船員以及大量的女科學家,我就深深的感受到先進國家對於男女的工作平權上面真的已經突破很多了,這次在瑪麗安上,我對女船醫跟一個女性科學家進行訪問,以借此更了解關於女性在船上工作的情形,我把的回答作了摘錄,細節請看影片。


Dr. Gabriele Wolters (Ship’s doctor)  船醫的專訪



1. Why did you choose to work on the ship?
為什麼你選擇在船上工作?
My husband was a captain. He worked on ships for 45 years. He began to work on a ship since he was 14 years old in 1956. I always like to go to sea. When someone asked me if I’d like to work on the ship as a doctor, I said yes.
我的丈夫在船上工作45年了,他是個船長,他從14歲就開始跑船了,因為他的關係,在加上我也很喜歡搭船去旅遊,所以當有人問我是否有意願到船上當船醫,我馬上就答應了。



2. How long have you been work on the ship?
你已經在船上工作多久了?
Four years, since 2008.
從2008年到現在,四年了


3. How often do you go to sea?
你多久出海一次?
I go to sea for 2 expeditions a year. It’s about 2-3 months per year.
我每年參與兩個航次,平均一年在海上工作兩到三個月。


4. How long is your longest cruise?
你最長的航次有多久?
My longest cruise is 3 months. We spend 6 weeks on station.
我最長的航次是三個月,我們在一個定點作業就長達六個星期之久。


5. What is the most exciting thing about working on the ship?
在船上工作最使你感到興奮的是什麼?
To me, the most important thing is to help people using my knowledge. We require everyone who sails with us to go on board to be healthy. Therefore, usually there is an accident when I’m needed. I really have to try my best to help them use very limited medical resources I get on the ship.
我覺得讓我覺得最重要(也不能真的說是興奮)的是利用我的專業知識幫助別人,每一個人要到瑪麗安上工作前都必須要經過陸地的醫生證明他們是健康的,因此當有人需要我的時候,通常是有意外的發生,所以我能夠盡我所能的幫助我的病人就是我覺得最重要的是。




6. How do you adjust yourself at sea from your land life?
你如何調適在海上工作的生活?
(1) I make a plan. Since it is so easy to lose track of time on the ship, I write down to do lists for myself on a daily basis.
(2) I read a lot. I am the librarian for this ship’s library and we have quite a good selection of books.
(3) I have lots of friends on the ship. The crew and the scientists. They keep me company and I learn new things from them.
(4) If there is a request, I also teach/give lectures about medical/health issues.
首先,我把每天要做的事情都列好來,然後我利用空閒的時間讀很多書,船上的圖書館藏書還挺豐富的,所以有很多很棒的書籍可以閱讀。此外,我跟船上的船員都是很好的朋友,我也試著去認識科學家們,跟他們學習新的知識。最後,如果有人要求,我也可以進行一些關於醫療與健康方面的課程。


7. How does your family adjust themselves when you are at sea?
你的家人如何適應當你在海上工作時的生活?
I do not have close family now since my husband passed away two years ago. When he was still alive, he tried to make himself busy although he did complain that I was at sea for too long. As for myself, when my husband is away for his work (he’s a captain), I work. I have my own clinic, which keeps me busy. Now it is much easier that we can email and even call each other. In the past, we have to rely on radio, which is really not convenient.
我丈夫已經過世了,所以現在沒有近親了。以前的時候,他會試著讓自己忙碌,當然他還是抱怨我出海太久,但他忘記他曾經在海上工作整整八個月,所以他學會自己去調適陸地的生活。而我在我丈夫出海工作的時候,我盡量保持忙碌,因為我有自己的診所,所以我的陸地生活其實是相當忙碌的。我們就靠電郵(email)、電話聯繫對方,現在科技進步很多,以前的時候,我們必須依賴無線電,很麻煩的。


8. Are there some advantages for females to work on a ship?
女性在船上工作有沒有什麼優勢?
Everyone on the ship talks to me and all the crew are good friends with me. It is easy for me to know about their health condition and to help them when they need me.  
我不覺得性別上有何差別,但是我個人因為跟每個人都相處融洽,所以我也比較容易知道每個人的健康狀況,大家也會比較跟我說他們的情況。


9. Are there disadvantages?
女性在船上工作有沒有什麼劣勢?
Not for myself. I think because I stick to my own principles.  I’m predictable (Dr. looked up her dictionary and found this word but I’m not really sure if the English word is exactly what she wants.)
我個人而言,沒有覺得因為是女性而有遭受到差別的待遇。我個人是很有原則的,所以跟我相處很容易。(醫生有查字典,用了英文”容易預測”的這個自來形容她自己,但我不知道這個字是否真的可以用來形容人,但她的意思就如我翻譯的,而且從她身上我看到德國人的嚴謹與負責任的態度,所以我想應該沒翻錯。)


10. How would you encourage young female students to choose their future carrier as a sea-going person?
你要怎麼鼓勵年輕的學生(尤其是女學生)來選擇在海上工作。
Have a lot of experiences. Need to know many things and good general knowledge. To be a ship’s doctor on a German vessel, we are also required to have emergency room experiences. Usually we are needed when there is an accident. Also, we can do basic surgeries.
必須要有很多不同的經驗,船醫必須是要是通盤性的,內外科都要會,尤其要有急診室的經驗,以及能夠進行小手術,畢竟在船上需要船醫的時候通常是有意外發生的時候,(我聽說曾經有船員是被直升機載回陸地去醫療),而且船上醫療資源有限,所以必須要運用專業來幫忙病人。


** Guess what did Dr. Gabriele do after she went back to Germany? She went sailing again!! This is what she told me "I went with my 28 feet sailing boat, out to our lovely and rough northern sea. You have to know: a seaman is a seaman, but only with the sea. And also the sea-woman.... so I did..... Yesterday it rained and rained, nothing but rain and wind. But it was a wonderful sailing." 


**後記,醫生回到德國後,就又去"跑船了",她自己有一艘的9公尺的帆船,她是這麼跟我說的,船員(以前只有男生,所以英文是seaman)就是在海上工作的人,那既然我是船員(用了英文sea woman) ,我當然要繼續我與海相依賴的生活,雖然北海的海況不好,而且下了一整天的雨,也有很強的風,但我還是非常享受昨天的航行。歐洲的男女真的很平等了,所以女生想做什麼都可以,包含擁有自己的帆船跟到處旅行囉!羨慕船醫的生活嘛?我們在台灣也可以的。










Dr. Beth Orcutt (http://microbesareawesome.com/Personal_Site/home.html) 女科學家的專訪


1. What is your scientific project about?
你的研究題目是什麼?
I am interested in knowing the life of microorganisms living in the deep sediment and rock. To know where they live, what they are and what they do.
我的主要研究目標就是去了解生活在深層沈積物以及岩石中的微生物,知道哪裡有微生物的存在,這些微生物是什麼(細菌、古菌…),這些微生物如何維持生命。


2. Why do you need to go to research cruises?
為什麼妳需要出海?
I need to collect samples. I collect sediments, sediment porewater and rocks.
為了採集樣品,我主要採集沈積物與岩石樣品。


3. How often do you go to sea?
妳多常出海?
I used to go to sea 2-3 months a year and now it is about 1 month per year.
我平均一年有兩到三個月的時間是在海上的。現在盡量減少出海時間了,大概一年至少有一個月在海上。


4. How long is your longest cruise?
妳最長的航次有多久?
North Pond drilling cruise. It was 9 weeks long.
2011年十月的鑽探航次,那個航次有九個星期之久。


5. What is the most exciting thing about going to a research expedition?
在船上工作最使你感到興奮的是什麼?
The science and the discovery is the most exciting. Going to sea is like have a summer camp where we do science during the expedition.
科學研究以及發現新的現象(收集到新的樣品)本身就是很令人興奮的了,而且出海就像是參加夏令營一樣,跟平常生活不一樣,所以在海上的生活也很令人興奮。


6. How do you adjust yourself at sea from your land life?
你如何調適在海上工作的生活?
I make plans ahead of time. I also blog a lot to let my family and my friends know what I am doing.
我總是先定好計畫,然後我寫很多部落格,讓我的家人與朋友知道我在幹嘛。


7. How does your family adjust themselves when you are at sea?
你的家人如何適應當你在海上工作時的生活?
My parents follow my blog.
我的爸媽看部落格來知道我的行蹤。


8. Are there some advantages for female scientists working on the ship?
女性在船上工作有沒有什麼優勢?
Yes. When I need to lift heavy equipment, there will be people willing to help me. However, sometimes people ask to help me too often and it can be quite disturbing.
有人會很願意幫忙提重物,但有時候他們太過度關心,反而造成小小的困擾。


9. Are there disadvantages?
女性在船上工作有沒有什麼劣勢?
No.
沒有。


10. How would you encourage young female students to participate in research project that requires them to go to sea?
你要怎麼鼓勵年輕的學生(尤其是女學生)參與海上研究工作?
Apply for internship on marine sciences. Try to participate in summer programs provided by oceanographic institute. Throw yourself out there.
參與海洋科學方面的暑期課程或是當實習生,把你自己丟到那個環境中,看看自己是否真的喜歡出海作研究。

No comments:

Post a Comment